From my experience at Lehigh, I realized there are 5 essentials things you should be aware of in order to succeed with any class that involves programming.
1. Familiarize yourself with the language : This includes learning the basic grammar and syntax with the programming language you will be using in that class.
2. Practice the basic beginner coding : Every programming language has a first program called “Hello World”. Try writing this program to get hands on experience in the respective language.
3. Watch Youtube tutorials : There are so many Youtube videos out there on all the programming languages out there. Its always help to learn it from another person with visual then reading the textbook.
4. Understand the compiler : As human when we program almost 90% of time we make syntax mistakes. If you understand what the compiling is saying, you can easily debug your program and solve the problem.
5. Consult with your professor : It’s always a good idea to go talk with the professor about the class because they will give you good advice and tell you what mistakes you are making.