Accounting 151-Financial Accounting

As a Computer Science and Business student, I am required to take both computer science classes as well as business classes. The funny thing is, even though I started out as a business major, I find the computer science classes a lot more enjoyable. Some of the business classes are just dull and tedious: ACCT 151 is a prime example.

Let me start by stating that while I find ACCT 151 extremely boring, I do think learning the material in this class is crucial to any business student as well as non business students. I only wish that the teaching method was more interesting, though I cannot blame the professors because making accounting enjoyable is quite a difficult undertaking.

A typical day starts with receiving our previous homework. A written homework assignment is due every class. These assignments can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours depending on how motivated you are to get the correct answers. The written homework is graded for completion rather than correctness. That being said, if all your numbers are blatantly incorrect, you may not receive full credit. These homework assignments are not difficult but require you to work with a lot of numbers which is mind numbing. Besides the written homework, we are required to complete online assignments that are very similar to the written homework. One of the recent online assignments I completed was the same problem as my written problem with different numbers. This sort of mundane repetition is what makes this class unbearable.

After we receive our homework, the professor proceeds to review the homework for a solid 20-30 minutes. This is a complete waste of time because the majority of the class knows the material and the others simply don’t care. After reviewing the homework, there is a 25% chance that the professor will actually teach us something new. The other 75% of the time the professor will talk about old material that EVERYONE already knows. This is the main reason why the class is so slow. Let me also mention my professor is from China and is very new to teaching. When a student attempts to ask a question, he/she will usually get an answer that is completely off. Most students in the class have come to the realization that this is a self-study class.

I hope I can get through this class without pulling my hair out.

Advertisements

About ludaniel17

Hi, my name is Daniel, and I am in the Computer Science and Business Program.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s